Atom Text Editor v1.16.0 recently released, is one of the most widely used hackable text editor and its built on atom-shell. It comes with a modern, approachable, but yet hackable to the core tool that you can customize to your needs. Comparing it to other desktop applications, it comes with its own icon in the dock, native menus and dialogs, and full access tothe file system. Furthermore, it is used also as an IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
Atom Key Features
- Cross-platform editing : Works across operating systems. You can use it on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- Built-in package manager : Search for and install new packages or start creating your own, all from within Atom.
- Smart autocompletion : Helps you write code faster with a smart, flexible autocomplete.
- File system browser : Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
- Multiple panes : Split the interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files.
- Find and replace : Find, preview, and replace text as you type in a file or across all your projects.
- Packages : You can choose from thousands of open source packages that add new features and functionality or build a package from scratch as well as publish it for everyone else to use.
- Themes : Comes pre-installed with four UI and eight syntax themes in both dark and light colors.
Atom 1.16.0 Changelog
- More title-bar options on macOS.
- Restore the correct directory’s project state when opening a new file from the CLI.
- Lots of progress in our ongoing effort to remove jQuery from bundled packages.
- Add the “dalek” package to let people know when they have built-in packages installed in
that are overshadowing core packages.
How to install Atom 1.16.0 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/download/v1.16.0/atom-amd64.deb sudo gdebi atom-amd64.deb
How to uninstall Atom from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove atom